Chill Woodwork is a hands-on, interactive program that focuses on learning basic carpentry and woodworking skills needed to make small projects like a fidget spinner, cutting board, storage chest, or shelves and more.
Participants will learn the correct way to use, carry and store several different hand and power tools throughout the program.
Experienced, professional instructors lead the workshop that is supervised by a Chill facilitator and peer mentor support is provided at a 1:2 ratio. High quality woodworking tools and equipment is provided in the enormous open studio that houses two half-built timber houses! The eager participant (once their skills and competency are established), in subsequent terms, can choose to work on a large group project such as building stairs or a wall for one of the resident partially constructed timber houses or a project of their choice. Participants are provided with a chippie getting started kit that includes a tool belt with hammer, tape measure, carpentry pencil and safety glasses. As per workplace occupational health and safety laws, participants are required to bring & wear a pair of steel cap safety work boots at each Chill Woodwork session.
Pre-requisite: Being enrolled in or completion of Chill Foundation.
- kinaesthetic learning
- small project design & planning
- problem solving
- safe & effective tool use
- measuring | cutting | sawing
- drilling | sanding | finishing
- gluing | sharpening | joining
- task perseverance to completion
- acquire skills in construction
- satisfaction of project completion
- sense of achievement & pride
- improved fine & gross motor skills
- reduce stress & anxiety
- reduced social isolation
- increased self-confidence
- making new friends
- engaged in employable skills
- transference of social skills
- might become your new hobby!
Term 1 24 January – 1 April
Term 2 18 April – 24 June
Term 3 11 July – 16 September
Term 4 3 October – 9 December
10:00am – 12:00pm
2/855 Boundary Rd
Coopers Plains QLD
$2,800.00 per term (1:2 peer mentor support)